After another of my lengthy soujourns researching recipes online I came across a dish I don’t think I’ve ever taken much notice of before: Pasta Alfredo. Traditionally this is made by tossing cooked fettuccine in a mixture of parmesan cheese and butter – though outside of Italy it’s often made a little richer through the addition of double cream. This recipe for Creamy Chicken and Garlic Pasta is based on that somewhat less authentic variation, with chicken and broccoli also thrown into the mix!
It won’t win any awards for being healthy or low fat – there’s a generous amount of cream and parmesan in here after all. But my goodness does it taste good! The richness of that cream and saltiness of the cheese coming up against the astrigent tang of the garlic.
I served it with a couple of oven baked croutons, as you can see above, so I had something to mop up any leftover sauce. Who was I kidding? There wasn’t any leftover sauce…
Creamy Chicken and Garlic Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Free-range Chicken Breasts 130g – 150g each cut into thick slices
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ medium Onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Vermouth or Dry White Wine
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 100 ml Chicken Stock
- 50 g Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 175 g Fettuccine or Pappardelle
- 75 g Broccoli blanched
- Chopped Fresh Parsley to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan or large frying pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken slices with the salt and pepper then add to the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until light golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions – you want it to be ready about the same time as the sauce.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and put to one side. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly golden and softened.
- Pour the vermouth into the pan and allow it to bubble for a few seconds, before adding in the garlic and butter. Sauté for a minute or so until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour the cream and chicken stock into the pan, stir well and allow it to come to a simmer. After it has slightly reduced and thickened add the parmesan and stir until well combined and smooth.
- Add the cooked chicken and blanched broccoli to the pan and heat through.
- Meanwhile drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water, and add it to the pan. Stir gently to ensure that the pasta is well coated with the sauce, using a little of the cooking water to help if needed.
- Divide the pasta between two bowls and top with any remaining chicken and broccoli from the pan. Spinkle over some chopped parsley and enjoy.