Who doesn’t love a bowl of Egg Fried Rice as part their favourite Chinese takeaway? It’s not difficult to make at home and the ingredients list is pretty much contained within its name – eggs and rice, with a bit of soy sauce added for flavour.
Like most fried rice dishes this would benefit from using rice that was cooked well in advance and allowed to cool and dry out in the fridge overnight. Here I made it with freshly cooked rice, though I still spread it out on some kitchen paper on a tray to encourage it to shed some of its moisture. The end result was still light, fluffy and flavoursome – so no complaints here – but I just wanted to mention the importance of letting the rice rest and dry out.
I served this with my Sweet and Sour Chicken and have to say was really impressed with how well they went together. Why not treat yourself to a “mid-week homemade takeaway” too?
Egg Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Free Range Egg beaten
- 150 g Basmati Rice cooked per packet instructions and cooled
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add in the beaten egg and stir fry until cooked through.
- Add in the cooked rice and mix with the egg, followed by the soy sauce. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes until everything is heated through and the rice has started to get a little crispy on some edges.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.