Griddled Lamb with Quinoa Greek Salad
Whilst a lot of my posts of late have been focused on comfort food I sometimes need a little break! As much as I enjoy big, wholesome dinners there are still some evenings when I want something a little lighter. Both in volume and in flavour. This Griddled Lamb served with a Quinoa Greek Salad being a perfect example.
As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, Michael isn’t the biggest fan of lamb. I know what he means – it can be a bit fatty sometimes and when it’s bad it’s bad. As a result it tends to be something I order when we’re out rather than cooking at home. Though from time to time I get struck by inspiration…
The flavours of this are very Mediterranean – though more from the eastern end than my normal, Spanish-heavy influences. The lamb is marinated in mixture of lemon, garlic and olive oil which brings a beautiful freshness. The fresh thyme adding some warmth and extra fragrance. The marinade really helps tenderise the meat, so it needs only a few minutes in the pan to seal the outside and warm it through.
I serve it here on top of a warm quinoa salad with a sharp pomegrante dressing. This really works well against the sweetness of the tomatoes and rich, saltiness of the Feta. You could also add in a few olives if you’re a fan.
This really is a taste of summer in the middle of winter. Even if it’s cold outside you can still pretend you’re sitting on a terrace overlooking the Aegean. Though you might want to turn the heating up a notch to really seal the deal…
Griddled Lamb & Quinoa Greek Salad
for the Lamb
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 Lemon juiced and zested
- ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme leaves removed and chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 300 g Lamb Leg Steaks
for the Quinoa Salad
- 125 g Quinoa
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon juiced and zested
- 2 tsp Pomegrante Molasses
- 1 tsp Sea Salt Flakes
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Red Onion peeled and chopped
- 100 g Cherry Tomatoes halved
- ½ Cucumber chopped into cubes
- 125 g Feta Cheese crumbled
- 10 Mint Leaves finely chopped
Marinate the Lamb
- Mix together all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl or zip-lock bag. Make sure they're well combined before adding in the lamb steaks then marinading in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature before cooking.
Make the Dish
- Cook the Quinoa according to the packet instructions. I tend to use a weak vegetable stock rather than water to add a little more flavour - but it's up to you whether you do that or not. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile make a dressing for the quinoa by mixing together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, pomegranate molasses, salt and pepper.
- When the Quinoa is cooked drain and allow to cool slightly before mixing with the tomato, cucumber, onion and feta. Pour over the dressing and add the chopped mint, before mixing again and then diving between two bowls.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Remove the excess marinade from the lamb before cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side - depending on how well cooked you like it. Once cooked cut into thick slices and serve on top of the quinoa salad.