Sometimes you get to the end of the week wanting a bit of a treat for dinner, but you either don’t have the right things in the cupboard or just don’t have the energy to spend an hour in the kitchen working with what you do have to hand.
Obviously there’s an easy solution to the problem – get out your phone, open your preferred food delivery app and let someone else do all the hard work. We’ve all been there but I totally lack self control when ordering food in and sometimes I want something that tastes really good without the guilt, or indeed the cost, that inevitably comes with a takeaway.
If you followed my weight loss blog (The 8 Month Challenge) then you may have noticed that Friday night was often “Steak Night” for this very reason: oven chips need no attention and a steak can be cooked in under 10 minutes, meaning you get a lot of joy for very little effort.
Tonight’s variation is very much its close Chicken relative – chicken breast wrapped in ham and mushrooms, then covered with Boursin cheese. Everything can be prepared in 5 minutes at the outset and then popped into the oven and ignored for a while, whilst you get on with some hardcore unwinding (and even more strenuous wine drinking). All it needs is another 5 minute flurry of activity at the end and you have a really tasty plate of food, a nicely satisfied appetite and and no need to do the washing up until tomorrow morning…
This has no right to taste as good as it does – but who am I to complain? With a big heap of salty, herby potatoes alongside (which also come as a bonus second recipe below!) it’s a delicious plate of food to take you into the weekend. Bliss!
- 4 slices Parma Ham or Prosciutto Crudo
- 100 g Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Skinless and Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 150 g Boursin with Garlic and Herbs
- 200 ml Chicken Stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Lay the ham out on a board as two sets of two slices and add a layer of mushrooms in the centre of each. Place a chicken breast on top of each ham and mushroom stack, season with salt and pepper, then fold the ham over the top of the chicken breast to make a little parcel. Put these join side down on a baking sheet and then into the oven for about 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- About five minutes before taking the chicken from the oven, heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan until almost simmering then add in the Boursin cheese. Stir well until it's all melted together and given you a rich, creamy sauce.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and serve with the sauce, either poured all over the top or alongside - that bit is up to you!