This is a bit of a bonus recipe… I had some leftover Chicken Livers and didn’t want to let them go to waste. Or into the stomachs of our cats, Cosmo and Luna. They ended up in a frying pan with some bacon, a shallot, a few mushrooms and a splash of cognac. Buttery soft when cooked these taste wonderful and are great served with toast.
Pan-Fried Chicken Livers on Toast
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 rashers Streaky Bacon chopped
- 1 Shallot peeled and finely chopped
- 100 g Mushrooms sliced
- 250 g Chicken Livers trimmed
- 2 tbsp Cognac
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- 2 slices Bread toasted
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon, shallot and mushroom then cook for 5 minutes until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onions are softened.
- Add the chicken livers to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are cooked through. Do check that they don’t have any uncooked bits, as this is offal after all.
- Pour in the brandy and reduce to a thick syrupy consistency (you can flambé at this stage if you’re feeling it). Stir in half of the parsley and season if you think it’s needed.
- Put the toasted bread on a plate and top with the chicken livers. Garnish with the additional parsley and serve.