Talk about Retro!
As a child I hated Swede and Carrot Mash, but these days I find it to be a total comfort food – quickly taking me back to a time when someone else was doing all the cooking and we used to argue over who had to do to the washing up. Thank goodness for the ubiquitous dishwasher…eh?!
Swede and Carrot Mash
- 400 g Carrots about 4 medium carrots
- 400 g Swede about 1 medium swede
- 15 g Butter
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Peel the carrots and swede, then cut into 1cm cubes. Put into a pan of cold water, cover and bring to the boil.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until the swede and carrots are tender to the tip of a knife. Remove from the heat and drain well. Put the lid back onto the pan and allow the vegetables to steam slightly for a minute or so.
- Start to mash before adding in the butter and seasoning then continue to mash until they reach your desired consistency. I like a bit of texture but you can keep going until you have a smooth puree if that's your preference.