Talk about Retro!
As a child I hated Swede and Carrot Mash, but these days I find it to be a total comfort food – quickly taking me back to a time when someone else was doing all the cooking and we used to argue over who had to do to the washing up. Thank goodness for the ubiquitous dishwasher…eh?!
- 400 g Carrots about 4 medium carrots
- 400 g Swede about 1 medium swede
- 15 g Butter
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Peel the carrots and swede, then cut into 1cm cubes. Put into a pan of cold water, cover and bring to the boil.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until the swede and carrots are tender to the tip of a knife. Remove from the heat and drain well. Put the lid back onto the pan and allow the vegetables to steam slightly for a minute or so.
- Start to mash before adding in the butter and seasoning then continue to mash until they reach your desired consistency. I like a bit of texture but you can keep going until you have a smooth puree if that's your preference.