Say what you want about a stir-fry, but you can’t argue that they’re the perfect dinner when time isn’t on your side. There aren’t many meals where you can go from entirely raw ingredients to a hot, cooked meal in less than 20 minutes. Like most people I tend to cheat a little and use a sachet of sauce but I increasingly wonder why.
In recent years the ingredients have significantly improved, but they still contain some things I’d rather not eat. Least of all added sugar, salt and MSG. Yes, this recipe for Chicken & Cashew Stir-Fry does contain sugar but you can see exactly how much. The use of lower sodium Soy Sauce is also something that I’d encourage. You don’t miss out on the flavour and it’s better for you in the long run.
Those few ingredients come together to make a rich and sticky sauce, that coats the noodles, chicken and vegetables wonderfully. The cashews bring a lovely nutty flavour as well as a crunchy texture to the dish. As do the crisp vegetables – the selection here bringing a range of tastes, colours and textures.
I really love this recipe and it might have just become my new “go to” stir-fry. Partly because I know I always have the ingredients to make the sauce in my cupboard. But mostly because it tastes so good. It’s light and fresh, without being too spicy or garlicky. Both those flavours have their place, but sometimes you need something a bit more refreshing, don’t you?
Chicken & Cashew Stir-Fry
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Rice Wine
- 2 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Cornflour slaked in 1 tbsp Water
For the Stir-Fry
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 300 g Chicken Breast cut into strips
- 100 g Red Pepper deseeded and cut int strips
- 100 g Broccoli cut into small florets
- 75 g Mange Tout halved
- 300 g Straight to Wok Noodles blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
- 4 Spring Onions thickly sliced
- 50 g Toasted Cashew Nuts coarsely chopped
- Start by making the sauce. Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl and put to one side until needed.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a high heat, then add the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown on the outside.
- Add in the peppers, then stir-fry for a further minute or so, before adding the broccoli and mange tout. Stir-fry for 2 further minutes, before pouring in the sauce and tossing the chicken and vegetables until coated.
- Add the heated noodles to the pan, then stir through the chicken and vegetables. Finally, add the spring onions and toasted cashews and stir-fry for a further minute or so, until everything is coated in the sauce and heated through.
- Serve immediately.
|Estimated Values per Serving|
|of which Saturates||4||g|
|of which Sugars||12||g|
|Note: Nutritional information shown is per serving of the above recipe. Any side dishes or garnishes shown in photos are not included in these values, unless they are specifically listed as part of the recipe.|