I don’t know about you, but I often find shop-bought “salsa” to be rather disappointing. It may be fine for dunking your Doritos, but that’s about it…
A lot of my issue comes down to the texture. It’s usually far too wet and sloppy, which doesn’t make for the nicest eating experience. Plus I suspect we’ve all managed to drop some on either ourselves, the floor or the sofa at some point in the past. It’s also usually a bit too salty or too sweet, as a lot of processed foods tend to be. We can do better than this, surely?
When it comes to making self-assembly dishes like Tacos and Fajitas I’ve given up on buying in salsa. Instead, I take a few minutes to make up a bowl of Pico de Gallo instead. It contains the same ingredients as the more liquid salsas – tomato, onion, coriander and jalapeño chilli – but in a much nicer form. You get all of the flavour and none of the slop.
As I said before this is great in tacos and fajitas, where it adds freshness and crunch to the fillings. It’s also great served alongside griddled meats and fish. Basically, anywhere you want to add colour and flavour without too much fuss. You can make it in ten minutes with ingredients you probably already have in your fridge. So what’s stopping you?
Pico de Gallo
- 4 ripe Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 fresh Jalapeno chilli or 1 tsbp from a jar, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- Handful Coriander chopped
- 1 Lime juiced
- Sea Salt Flakes
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Put all the ingredients together in a bowl, season and stir until well mixed. Put into the fridge to chill. If you’re pressed for time you can do this a day beforehand, but not too much longer.
- Just remember to take it out of the fridge and bring it back up to room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.
|Estimated Values Per Serving|
|of which Saturates||0||g|
|of which Sugars||2||g|
Note: Nutritional Information is shown per serving of the recipe shown above. Any side dishes or garnishes shown in photos are not included unless they are specifically listed as part of the recipe.