When I was a child Sunday evenings were spent in my bedroom watching crappy TV whilst doing my homework at the last minute. I’d almost always have a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich to hand as my supper. Not one cooked in a proper toastie maker, I hasten to add. Rather the ones I used to love were prepared by my dad using hot buttered toast, thickly sliced fridge-cold cheese and fresh tomato. Not everyone’s idea of gourmet but for me something full of happy childhood memories.
These days Sunday evenings are all to often spent complaining about the fact I forgot to go to the supermarket before it closed, as I forage through the fridge and cupboards looking for something to make into a respectable dinner. Yes, I could just pop to the store at the end of the road, but that kind of defeats the point when have plenty of food in the house. Just not always the sort of ingredients that should grace the same plate. Certainly not at the same time, anyway.
This Sausage and Sweet Pepper pasta came into being on one of those evenings. On this occasion we’d been to the shop and bought everything we needed for the week ahead. With the exception of something for that evening’s dinner. Yes, we could have swapped the meal planner around and picked up something else later in the week. But neither of us were in the mood for a weeknight dinner on a Sunday. We wanted something big and hearty and comforting. A nice big bowl of pasta, for example.
Well, here’s where we ended up. Roasting the peppers before blending them with tinned tomatoes gives a wonderful flavour to the sauce. The sweet smokiness being a lovely counterpart to the slightly tart tomato flavour. A perfect flavour combination when added to the skinned sausages (borrowed from later in the week) in this rich, almost creamy pasta sauce. So good, in fact, I scribbled the recipe just in case it was needed again.
Though maybe it would be easier to keep some bread, cheese and tomatoes in the cupboard instead. At least I know those are guaranteed to make me smile…
Sausage & Sweet Pepper Pasta
- 2 Peppers deseeded and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 Red Onion peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 Red Chilli deseeded and halved
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 400 g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Granules
- 400 g Sausagemeat
- 250 g Dried Pasta of your choice
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Toss the chopped peppers, onion and chilli in the olive oil, then spread out over a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Put the sausagemeat into a deep frying pan, then cook over a medium-low heat for 10 minutes or so, until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the roasted peppers and onions from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Put into a blender along with the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, oregano and seasoning, before blitzing to form a smooth sauce.
- Add the sauce to the cooked sausage and allow to heat through.
- Cook the pasta according the pack instructions. When cooked drain well and add to the sausage and pepper sauce.
- Stir until the pasta is coated in the sauce, then serve with some freshly grated parmesan over the top.
|Estimated Values per Serving|
|of which Saturates||10||g|
|of which Sugars||6||g|
|Note: Nutritional information shown is per serving of the above recipe. Any side dishes or garnishes shown in photos are not included in these values, unless they are specifically listed as part of the recipe.|